Friday, June 20, 2008

Gasp..!


I work at the corner of Center Street and Main in Logan. As you can imigine it is a fairly busy intersection with a lot of pedestrians due to the nature of the businesses surrounding. Today our office was able to get front row seats to a wreck that occured this afternoon. We could hear the cop car sirens and looked out our office windows to see that there were about 5 cop cars as well as a fire truck and an ambulance. There was a white suburban with a Latin lady on her cell phone. We couldn't really see any damage to her car, but we knew it was her because she started to loose it and started crying and looked pretty shook up. The cop started taking pictures and we watched him take a picture of the back seat of the car. We still couldn't see any damage, but it obviously was big enough to need all of these responders. After we deliberated for a few minutes trying to figure out what it was we gave up but just watched for a moment.


Our co-worker came in and found out what happened from one of our clients that was an eye-whitness. He said that they had a kid (about 2-3) that was playing in the open window and fell out as she turned the corner! The the client we were working with said he immediately pulled in front of the kid and tried to block all the traffic from running him over until they got someone there. This poor lady was in shock by the looks of it, we never saw what happened to the little kid, but the lady had another baby in the car (about 1). From the side of the car we could see, there wasn't a car seat for the kid and I hope there was one on the other side for the baby!..but the ambulence left without the lights on, so the injuries weren't so bad that he had to be rushed back to the hospital. Sigh...Lesson for the day...WEAR YOUR SEATBELT...and more importantly make sure your kids do! (and have all the appropriate car seats)

9 comments:

Paige said...

Ah! That makes me sick! You don't need THE BEST car seat around, just get one! I will buy one for you for heaven's sake. I hope those kids are okay!

Alishia said...

OH my goodness! THat is just really sad! agh! "Gasp" is definately a good title for that story!

Christa and Marcus said...

That is a horrifying story! I'll have to make sure I am more observant of whether marcus is wearing his seatbelt from now on! (wink)

Lees Everything Homemade said...

Yikes...that could have been really bad! I'm glad it wasn't worse.

A thought did occur...apparantly there is nothing for those cops to do in Logan. Normally, I don't think this sort of thing would get such a huge following.

Wynter said...

sorry to say... but they do take off without the lights on it they are dead.

Jen said...

How Scary! What was that mom thinking?!?!? She is lucky nothing worse happened. I hope she learned her lesson.

Anonymous said...

That's horrible! That just makes me sick. My sister-in-law used to call and report people whose kids weren't buckled in or in carseats!

Becky said...

Jon and I saw this ALL THE TIME in Mexico. Seat belts are not the law there and neither are car seats. Not only do people ride in the back of open trucks but the cops do too. The worst was right before we left. We saw a couple on a MOTORCYCLE with a newborn in the mother's arms. My stomach dropped!

Tink said...

I was just about to say what Becky did because I saw it too. It's startling to say the least, especially when it's a newborn!