Monday, April 7, 2008

Why did I go to college?


I am hoping you all my be able to feed me with reason as to why going to college was a good idea for me. I started working at a Title company in high school and got excellent work experience there for 4 years, but still pursued my degree in exercise science and human development. After 5 years of working my behind off in both school and work, working sometimes 3 jobs at a time to make it through, I finally graduated. Since I have gotten a job at another Title company and am working at a starting wage as a receptionist. My little sister (no offense Lu) just started as a receptionist at a title company as well, with no degree and no experience and is earning the same starting wage. WHY!? Why in the world did I go to 5 years of college just to do something that doesn't need a degree and doesn't pay nearly what a degree should have entitled me. I pray that the answer will present itself so I don't feel like a complete waste every time I get a paycheck or everytime I make a payment to my student loans. There has got to be a reason.
Lu, I am very happy that you get this opportunity and I am so glad that you are getting paid decently and getting great work experience....just be aware that there will be no sympathy...
I feel the need to add that I have yet to find a job that fits within my degree's expertise and I fought 300 applicants for this starting wage job...just in case you are all now wondering why I don't just go and get another job.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rough day at work DA? (That's what I call you when you're not around. The truth comes out!) ANYWAY! I guess you probably got a degree so you wouldn't feel like a waste of space when you looked back on your years in Logan and gone, "What the heck was that for?" Also, so you wouldn't be the oldest one in all of your classes. I'll trade you any day of the week!

Kurt & Rachel Keyser said...

It's hard to tell your kids to go to college if you didn't go yourself!

Becky said...

I can totally sympathize and I have battled this a lot too. In fact, just yesterday, no kidding, I was washing dishes at my kitchen sink and thought to myself, "Self, I am so glad that you went to college!" Of course I am not using it - BUT I don't question myself in conversations that I have with others. I have confidence in my reasoning and decision making skills. I KNOW how to manage my weight and feed my children. There are several reasons why having a degree is GREAT - even if you aren't using it RIGHT NOW!
If it bugs you that much, maybe you should look for a new job or create one on the side. :)

Betsy Lee said...

Well, that is very frustrating! I didn't endure that much college and I was a little upset upon hearing Lu's starting wage myself, seeing that she's getting paid more then I did when I was working there, which really ticks me off, because I was promised the higher amount and never got it! Congrats, Lu, but I too am upset!

Why'd you get a degree you ask? Well, you don't just get degrees for higher pay. You also get them for more knowledge to prepare you and your family for life. You'll probably appreciate the knowledge you aquired a whole lot more when you have kids and are better able to take care of them in that aspect. Besides, a lot of times the higher pay doesn't come in until you're working in an upper level in the field in which you graduated from. I know you didn't graduate in any art, but are you still keeping your eyes open for art/design type jobs available in Logan? I've been looking up jobs in Logan and have seen a few here and there. Sorry you're bummed! I don't blame you!

Sheena said...

So I think I know how you feel. I'm wondering why I tried so hard and had such a hard time after I had Maryn to go back to school for a semester just so that I could take classes online now. I haven't even done anything for the one class that I signed up for last year! I don't have the motivation to do it because I am not doing it because I need to get a job. I'm doing it for the satisfaction of knowing that I graduated from college. You should be very proud of yourself for all the hard work you put in. I'm jealous that you already have your degree. :)

I think that most of going to school (any school, even high school) is to learn values of patience, hard work, and endurance to the end. Those are the things that you can take from your schooling to help you throughout your life, not just in your career.

I hope this helps, I know it's got me thinking about doing more for my class right now, and for that I have to thank you. I need to take my own advice now :)

paige said...

Even as Lorin has looked for jobs, he realizes that it doesn't matter what your degree is in, employers just want to see that you put in the time & sacrificed to get it done. I wish I had finished myself, but getting married & starting a family is what was right for us. So someday, I will be the 35 year old in class or taking them online. I know education is important for more than the $, but it never hurts! In fact, most people I know aren't using their degree, they stay at home with their kids or have a job to get them by - just feel good that you did it, the reason will definitely come along as life goes on.

Cali said...

Whew, 300?? The good side is, way to go you beat out 300 people! The bad side is, it sounds like there aren't a lot of jobs available up there. That would be cool if you moved down here!

Cali said...

BTW- that was a hint that I want you to come hang out with me! :)

Lees Everything Homemade said...

Richard and I have debated this question over and over and over and over...

It's always come down to whether he should go back to school, but this far down the road we would have to take a major pay decrease to go and get a degree. After that degree, he'd get back in the workforce only to find that he is making less than half of what he is now. It seems a little unjust. If we didn't have to consider a family to raise, he'd be back right now.

That being said, education is more than the pay. A LOT of employers look at degrees and regardless of what you got it in, they hire you because you dedicated yourself to getting it done. When layoffs come around, sometimes the only dividing factor is the college degree and guess who wins out? It's not always the guy with seniority that gets to stay. The young "punk" kid gets to stay because he dedicated his time and efforts to his formal education.

You might not ever use your specific degree, but it was worth the effort - what else would you have been doing? Working, making more money and missing a lot of fun opportunities that only college can bring. I won't say you are going to be a better mom because of it - since I know some pretty good mom's that never finished college - but education dispells narrow-mindedness, prejudice and gives an overall well-roundedness that all humanity needs.

You won't care as much when you are home looking after little ones. And be warned, the pay is even less than you're making now, if we're talking monetary improvements!