Monday, January 14, 2008

HELP!


I was hoping to get some help. I have procrastinated forever getting anything descent for a food storage and I am out of excuses, so I wondered if there was any help out there. I have a very handy booklet that will help me get started and be able to buy food incrimentally throughout the year. The problem is, that I am supposed to rotate and honestly I have no idea what I will do with 42 lbs of wheat in a year (I know what I would do with rice, beans, and oats)! I don't have a wheat grinder and I don't really make my own bread (I might have to learn!) Anyway..what are your thoughts! If you have any recipes or ideas or any sort of input I would very very very much appreciate it!!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I got that little pamphlet thing too and I really want to start too! Maybe we can do something together. Anyway, I have no ideas. I just wanted you to know that there is another person out there who is clueless about food storage (helpful, huh)!

Kurt & Rachel Keyser said...

I'd start with 72-hour kits. I also, received a pamphlet once about $5/week food storage. You buy things like canned goods, vitamins, pasta, salt, etc. (things you use on a regular basis).

Sheena said...

It was funny because I just finished writing a "help" post too, but mine is about primary, when I went to your blog and saw the Help. Anyway, I don't have any ideas right now, but I will try to find out some ideas from in-laws that have food storage.

Lees Everything Homemade said...

For Christmas this year my mother-in-law gave us a bucket of wheat and recipes to use the wheat, without a wheat grinder. I'll type it up and forward it to you tomorrow.

Cali said...

If there is an Emergency Essentials store up there, you can get lots of canned, dried food there. (And other things besides food). Then you only have to store water if you ever want to prepare the food. Also, this has been suggested to me before - when you go grocery shopping, you could gradually start buying two of everything that would store for long periods of time - because that is stuff you know you will eat later. (Also for storing water - don't use milk jugs, they are bad. I hear the 2-liter plastic soda bottles are much better.)

paige said...

Let me know what book you have. I am always looking for better ways to store our food. We don't go through it very well...I use flour for cookies & that's about it. :) I think Rachel had a good idea with the 72 hour kits, we just got those for Christmas so I am motivated to stay on a roll & get prepared!

Jen said...

Scott started selling Moutain House food storage & that's what we have. It's dry freeze meals- that is actually really good.

My only problem is now that i need to start storing water.

DeAnna said...

Thanks everyone for the great tips!!