Monday, May 4, 2015

Adjusting

It has been a long few weeks with a lot of growing pains.  We have been figuring out how to be a family of 5!  I have a huge appreciation for parents all over with more than 1 kid.  I knew I had it easy with 1 (especially such a good 1), but 3 has been a challenge.

It took about 5 weeks before I could even feel grateful for the events that transpired.  Not that I wasn't happy that it happened, but the stress overrode the joy and it took a bit before I could "feel" the blessing it was.  I just looked at their pictures that I already have up on the buffet and I felt it.  Granted they were asleep and the house was quiet, which helped, ha ha, but it was good.  I was glad to know the feeling was there!

We have gotten into a routine, but there are a lot of to-do's that come with adoption.  A lot of Dr. Apts., a lot of records and paperwork and phone calls.  Not to mention the worry of all the "dad" side of things and whether they are going to sign and finalize the adoption (May 20th is the all clear date).  We found out that our cute Brynlee has Scabies!  Just when we felt we had things calm and under control we had to wipe the kids down with an ointment and washed all their bedding, all their stuffed animals, all their clothes, shoes, pillows, towels, everything.  Andrew has to stay home from work to keep Brynlee home from daycare.  I had to confess to Lizzy's teacher and have her remind Lizzy not to touch or get too close to other kids.  Gah!  Andrew has been SUPER paranoid and is quarantining the whole family.   He read all the horror stories online and thought our dermatologist wasn't thorough enough in his perscription for Brynlee.  He had me get a refill with enough to treat them again AND Andrew and I (who don't seem to have anything) but he wants to be safe.  I don't blame him, but he seems to be overkill.

Training the kids has been going great.  The early behaviors we saw in the car the first day have not even come close to surfacing here at the house.  They have learned how to hold their forks right, to chew with their mouths closed, put their dishes in the sink, put their own clothes away, take care of toys.  Sigh...we really have come a long way in a few short weeks.

They have been really good at church and blended right in.  We have been reading scriptures and saying prayers.  It is taking practice and help, but they are learning.  It is interesting to teach them about Heavenly Father and Jesus.  Two individuals they have absolutely no concept of.  I am so grateful to have them come home from church and talk about Jesus and what is right.  It is nice to have back-up and help in teaching these things.  Lizzy has been helpful too.  (By the way, Lizzy is spelled with two z's according to Lizzy herself.  She writes it on her paper like that.)

We are a little concerned with Maverick's learning.  He doesn't seem to retain information very quickly.  Hopefully we can get him figured out.  Brynlee on the other hand has such an advanced vocabulary for a 3-yr-old we have to remind ourselves she is only 3.  "stop talking like a baby....".....oh yeah, you kinda are a baby.  The other day Andrew told Brynlee he loved her and she said "Dad!, you're so adorable".


 We went to sushi, pictures say it all.  Ha ha they actually liked it better than I thought they would. It was so funny watching Brynlee try to stick the whole thing in her mouth ha ha ha it was classic.

 We have had to teach Maverick not to wake everybody up when he gets up at the crack of dawn, he was so good, I woke up to find him quietly playing in his room (the glove was what caught my eye).
 We played Jenga for FHE one night, it was pretty fun to teach them how to play.  It was also fun to have someone else to play with since Andrew doesn't really play games, he enjoyed watching. 
 

No comments: