Sunday, June 6, 2010

Happy


I have learned from my wonderful husband just how much happiness is a decision. I have had to work hard, but I feel like I'm getting there with help from the Big Man upstairs. (I think prayers from others have helped too ;)) I also have been taking my anxiety pills which helps.

I feel like for the first time in a long time that I'm not waiting for the future to happen to be happy, I am taking life in the moment....not something that I have been very good at. I am happy here in my little house in the country. I am happily married to the cutest "tough" guy. I have my sweet little charlie that has truly been heaven sent.

You know I used to have all kinds of qwerks too. Things that bugged. I used to HATE it when people would smoke on the sidewalk. I used to HATE it when people used bad grammar. I used to think some testimonies on Sunday were....well, embarrassing for them. I had very specific books I liked and movies I liked. There was only one perfect car, there was only one right way to coordinate clothes. I have decided that these things just don't matter....as Andrew CONSTANTLY used to say "why don't you just chill out about it"...Whenever I would go on a tangent and want to express myself he wouldn't respond. (Yes, this really bothered me.) However, by default I have learned to not go on tangents. Living in the country I have lived with a lot of people with bad grammar and I have really loved them, and their bad grammar is part of who they are and I wouldn't want to change it. Most testimonies on Sunday when received with the Spirit have a good message to bring, whether the bearer followed testimony protocol or not.

Coming from a family that analyzed everything and formed opinions about everything (which isn't necessarily bad) I felt like it was very normal. Then I married Andrew....I'm not sure he has an opinion about anything, at least not ahead of time. His family doesn't analyze anything. I don't have to care about the little stuff. I don't have to care about what happens in the future. I only have to keep the commandments and choose to be happy about today.

7 comments:

kenna said...

this is a great post.

truly great.

Wynter said...

Agreed =) I am glad to hear how you are doing. I love you and wish I was closer to be able to spend more time with you!

Christa and Marcus said...

I am glad you guys are so happy! I can not wait for the day when I am not waiting to be happy ; ) You guys are so blessed and we love you!

Cali said...

Some great lessons to share, thanks! I am also very opinionated - something I've learned about myself since being married, because my husband also doesn't have an opinion about anything, and sometimes wishes I would "just chill out" about stuff too. Ha ha. But I am glad for your happiness, and something I should try to do more of too.

Cali said...

Also though, I have always felt like you were very analytical in a thoughtful way, and you have great insights about people and why they do things, without being judgemental. I think that's great about you.

Becky said...

I love this post, DeAnna. I can relate to a lot of what you say. Jon has helped me relax a lot too. I read it yesterday but didn't get a chance to comment right away. I think what you've said, inspired a little of what I said in my last post.
Glad you've found a piece of happiness. Life IS good, isn't it?

Loraine said...

What a wonderful post to get from you DeAnna. I can tell you are happy and that really makes me happy. I love you.