Yesterday after work I ran to the grocery store to get some last minute items for Enrichment/Thanksgiving. I was going to try and leave work early but we ended up being busy, so I would just have to hurry. I was about to my house at 6:00 when Andrew called and said sorry he wasn't home yet, but he had a meeting run late at work and the errand I had him run for me wasn't done yet. I then told him that I wasn't home either. His only response was, you're not...the house is a mess. I was fully aware of this. I told him to get done what he could asap.
When I got home I scrambled. I gave myself 15 minutes to do a quick clean of the house, which meant I stuffed everything in the bedroom and closed the door. I then quickly whipped up a batch of snickerdoodles in the time that it took the oven to preheat and got the first batch in. I then did the dishes, which if you do not remember doesn't include a dishwasher, unless you call my hands and soap a dishwasher. I then scrambled to get things ready with the centerpiece for my table in the process breaking a new glass candleholder that I had (grr), and all the supplies out for the activity, put another batch of cookies in the oven, and proceeded to sweep the floor. It was about 10 minutes to 7:00 at this point and I decided to do some more cleaning. I threw the dirty cookie bowl and beaters into the fridge and hurried and washed the last of the dishes. I also put up the extra table and chairs we barrowed from the church. Andrew called at least 2 more times to tell me that he was going to be longer than he thought...I just told him that if he wasn't going to be there than I had to go, and I couldn't talk!
Quickly 7:00 arrived...then 7:10 and Brittany and a friend of hers showed up, about a half hour later a member of the Relief Society came. All of that and I had 3 people show up to my house!! I really wouldn't have minded at all, but someone at church on Sunday said "we are all going to fit in your house?". This naturally made me think that maybe a lot of people would come. I wasn't really expecting very many until she said that and it freaked me out. So, even though we had a good time and did what we planned to, I admit I was a little dissapointed and exasperated at the amount of rush I went through for 3 people. Oh well, I did my job, what else can I do.
The rush didn't end there though. As I was laying in bed last night I was thinking about the Jello that I needed to make for Thanksgiving, realized that there wouldn't be much time to make it the day of, and in order to have it set up in time for the drive down south I would have to make sure it was ready before we left for work. SO, this morning I got out of bed early even though I didn't need to shower and proceeded to follow the directions to the Jello I had never made before (the directions are a little confusing might I add, for someone who never made it before) I pulled my dirty cookie bowl and beaters out of the fridge, hurried and washed the beaters so I could blend the cream cheese mixture. I Proceeded adding everything together, realizing the bowl wasn't big enough, switching to the bigger one, splattering cranberry sauce on my clean shirt, throwing a tantrum ran and changed. I was almost finished when I realized that this had to be set up in layers. With 10 minutes before I left for work I sent Andrew to work on what he could. Shouting orders from the bathroom while I tried to flat iron my hair and put some make-up on. Andrew was only awake at that point because as I was boiling water the cookie dough I spilled on the hot plate had burned off and sent the fire alarm off. As I was freaking out, Andrew told me to calm down, to go to work, and he would bring me some breakfast and finish the Jello (I love him). SO, I can sit here and laugh at my morning/evening, because I am calm and at my desk with my Egg McMuffin and Orange Juice that Andrew brought and able to look back at this and see whatever humor there is in it. HA!
4 comments:
Yuck - I HATE feeling out-of-control rushed! I am sure I would have felt and done the exact same. I have to laugh about the bowl in the fridge though - that's pretty funny! Just think this weekend will be so much better you can just sit back and relax.
What a great husband you have too. That is so sweet. I know Jon would want to help, but when it come to cooking he can basically just cheer me on. So that's great that Andrew could just take over for you like that!
I'm sorry you had to go through all of that for just the three of us. I'm sure none of us would have minded either. It was fun though!
HA hah! DeAnna I am laughing so hard - it sounds like a british comedy... ha ha :)
Not to sound insensitive - it was funny though...
Post a Comment