Friday, November 16, 2007

I've Seen Better Days








Yesterday Andrew called me after he got back from Pheasant hunting, with his brothers and the dogs, stating that he thought he would take Skip to the vet. We have noticed that he hasn't been feeling very well lately and gets tired pretty quick when he is out hunting. Andrew took him over and the vets first thoughts were that he possibly had pneumonia or maybe even worms. Unfortunately they had to do a bunch of tests to be sure. After work we were both going to meet at the Vet's. I almost got there when Andrew said he was already leaving and that we could talk about it when we got home.


Getting out of my car Andrew pulled up, I waited a second for Andrew to get out. When he did he just said that he needed a hug and burst into tears. I gave him a big hug as he explained that Skip had Myochardiopothy and was only going to live a maximum of 3-6 months on medication. The Doctor gave him the choice of whether he wanted to put him on the medication, which would only prolong the ineviteable, or to have him put down. Andrew decided to have him be put down. He said he was choking up when the doctor asked if he wanted to go see him one last time. Andrew said he couldn't do it, so he just let the doctor take care of it.


As much as we have had problems with him, we somehow got attached. Andrew mentioned that he was his first dog that was his own. It was really hard on him, he even felt stupid that he was so emotional about it (because you all know how "manly" Andrew is) but he loved his dog. So, sadly I write to you today with one less dog. The doctors said that they had never seen the heart problems escalate so fast (we just had him checked in April) and even asked if they could look at things after he was gone. So technically Skip was donated to science :) .


I do have to admit, it solves our dog-house problem, and our dog-carrier problem, and we no longer need to buy an extra shock-colar. I am very glad that we have Tucker now though, so Nash doesn't have to be all alone. He will probably be sad too. It is a good things all dogs go to heaven. :)







(Oh wait except Otis, Brittany's dog, he apparently didn't)



9 comments:

Anonymous said...

DeAnna and Andrew, I am SO sorry! As soon as I saw the picture of little Skippie I knew what your blog was about. It's always hard to lose one of your pets, no matter how many times they dig out of their kennel! My parents had to put their dog (not Otis!) to sleep this year and we were all devastated. Let me know if I can do anything. :( Skip definitely went to Dog Heaven, I'm sure when he would dig out it was just to keep an eye on crazy Tucker.

paige said...

That is so sad, I am tearing up just reading about it. :( We have never had pets, but if we ever do, I am sure that it will be impossible to not get attached.

Jonny said...

I am so sorry to hear that. I know how much Andrew loved those dogs from the few times we visited. He also spent a lot of time with them which I am sure made it even harder. Good thing you guys still have two other dogs, it make make it a little easier. Give him my best regards.

Lees Everything Homemade said...

Oohh...tears...!

Becky said...

I am so so sorry - what a sad thing. Hope you guys, especially Andrew, can recover quickly. Jon said he even teared when he read it...he NEVER does that!

Jen said...

I am so sorry! As of right now i can only imagine what that would truly be like to have a pet die. A few years ago we did have a bird die & my younger brothers were so sad, we burried her in the yard and my brothers balled- so of course i balled.

Cali said...

I so sorry DeAnna, putting down pets you love is the hardest thing in the world - it's impossible not to be emotional. Think of it this way, now he won't have to suffer the pain of a slow death. He's in doggie heaven.

Betsy Lee said...

That is so sad, DeAnna!!! I almost teared up myself! It happened so quickly!

On a side note, did you know I grew up with your neighbor, Brittany?! Small world! I totally remember Otis and their other dog they just put to sleep!

Wynter said...

Im sorry, that sucks! Its kinda crazy to think of andrew crying. I kinda know how he feels, my little bro took my dog to the pound oneday and never told me till I came to vist! I wanted to kill him.. I had sampson (my dog) for about 15 years.. I got him when I was 11 yrs old!