Saturday, October 26, 2013

Frustration

Apparently I offended a co-worker with a lighthearted (in my mind) comment about how she was handling a painful situation in her life.  It wasn't meant in anything other that a small comment to be taken as nothing. 

I don't get offended easily at all.  I have trained myself to not care what others think or say and not to take offense because in my experience people are rarely meaning offense!  THIS can lead you into trouble though because I don't get offended easily makes me insensitive to those that do.  My co-worker had been mulling over a very painful experience in her head all morning and I stupidly said "stop torturing yourself",  I didn't mean this to be offensive, but the very lengthy and somewhat heated response from them made me realize just how much I struck a chord. 

I feel bad.  I am a little upset that they got offended when I didn't mean it.  I am annoyed that an innocent comment has turned into  "something'.  These are the times I want to just throw in the towel and hide from society.  Don't they know me at all.  I'm not the kind of person that thinks badly of other people.  I don't ridicule or think their lives or experiences are insignificant. 

I apologized and hoped they could forgive me.  Things are going to be weird on Monday.  GAH, sometimes moving jobs frequently has its perks. 

What would you do?

2 comments:

Mindy said...

It's hard to say. I guess it would depend on how often I had to work with that person. Good luck! It was a easy mistake. That is such a common phrase that the offense was over the top in my book. I wouldn't have been offended but I'm more like you.

bob and sara rich said...

That's one reason I've appreciated moving around as much as we have with undergraduate school, graduate school, an internship and a residency. I love the idea of finally settling down (because moving is SO MUCH WORK!!) but then I fear of the offenses I may incur and I get all nervous about settling down. Totally relate the the pluses of changing jobs! :) Sorry about the experience, miss you!