Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Getting worse.

We had the opportunity to refinance our house.  We wanted to re-evaluate the home and see what chances we had to lower our interest rate as well as get rid of our mortgage insurance.  We bought the house originally for $130,000 and the new appraisal with the finished basement came in at $195,000.  We were able to get a nice amount of cash back.  All great news because this means we are able to make all the improvements we need to on the home.  For example we could now pull down the ceilings that were caving in on us.  We can also re-wire the house so the breaker (sp?) doesn't flip when we make eggs and toast at the same time.  Oh yes, and not to forget the inclusion of a dishwasher to our appliances. 

It is my last week of summer before I start another year teaching the third grade.  My small bedroom that had clothes in not only the dresser, but 2 bins under my bed, my nightstand a shelf in the closet and clothes hanging in two closets.  This bedroom went from small to smaller.  We moved our bed downstairs to start the demolition of the ceilings in the two upstairs rooms.  This wonderful dream of remodeling the house is getting worse by the minute....it is going to get a bit worse still before it ever gets better.    We spent the night last night hauling everything from our bedroom downstairs.  My dresser is now no longer even in the same room as my bed.  I also no longer have a nightstand or a shelf above my hanging clothes.  No complaining though, it will only make it torture.  Pep talk to myself "Pretend we are camping for the next oh....9 months or so".   There was a very good realization that took place while I was moving my clothes from my dresser downstairs.  I found that I have enough socks to fill an entire laundry basket.  I kept buying new socks to replace the old ones, without actually getting rid of the old ones, just stuffing them to the back of the drawer.  

Today we made the same switch for Elizabeth's room, we pulled all the cute stuff off her wall that I just put up 7 months ago.  I knew we were hoping to re-do some things in the house, but I didn't imagine it would be that fast for that room.  It was a bit sad.  They were memories of a very exciting very very long anticipated arrival that I was already ripping down and moving.  It is a bit depressing actually.  I have slept in the same spot for nearly 7 years and I don't think I like the move. 
I hope in a few months to have a smorgasbord of beautiful home pictures to just dazzle your pants off.

No comments: