This post is mostly for me, so if you don't want to hear what my thoughts and plans are for next years garden...stop reading here.
This year I planted:
1 row - Brocolli
1 row -Peas
1 row - Spinach
1 row - Romain Lettuce
1 row - Carrots
1+ row - Peppers
8 plants - Tomatoes
6 rows - corn
6 plants - pumpkin
8 plants - cucumber
2 rows - onion (one row dudded)
4 plants - potatoes
1 row - beans
1 row - green onions
4+ - Watermelon
1 pouch basil
1 pouch parsley
My thoughts are: I think that we had a good amount of everything. I loved having as many onions and green peppers as we did. I don't think we need quite so many tomatoes. Even less cucumber. I think we had too much corn as well. I specifically like the candy corn. I would be happy planting more pumpkins. I planted the Atlantic Giants, which produced fewer, larger pumpkins, which was fun, but I think I would like some standard pumpkins next year. These turned out all funny shaped. I still have frozen pumpkin from last year anyway and won't need sugar pumpkins for a bit. I planted Beefsteak tomatoes and Oregon Spring. I liked the beefsteaks better, plus they are heirloom, I can keep the seeds if needed. I think that the only thing I will try to grow indoor next year may be some watermelon. Everything else honestly grows better if you just stick it in the ground and water. The potatoes didn't turn out very well, I 'm not sure why. Everything else did really really well. The broccoli was pretty good too, we definitely had enough of it. The spinach was great, the romain was good. I would like to plant just as many onions and peppers again. Maybe a different kind of bean which may be hard since I can't remember what I planted. I also plan to plant Garlic in the spring and cilantro along with my parsley and basil. I love Carillisas lemon thyme, so maybe I will try some of that also.
The burried fish worked out great, I think they have a lot to do with our gardening success. The soaker hoses work great as well, but the layout needs to be better to accomodate our tiller. Our rows also need to be wider to accomodate the tiller as well. I am going to stick with my plan in regards to where we should plant the melons and pumpkin etc. I think since I do the watering I know best.
1 comment:
Wow!! I am very impressed. I wish I could be as good of a gardener. Best of luck with your plans for next year. :)
Post a Comment