Monday, September 7, 2009

Funny Story

Yesterday we had a lot of vegetables out of our garden for dinner and with that came a lot of compost that I put in a big silver bowl to take outside to the compost pile. It was about 10:30 or so before I got a chance to take it out, but I didn't want it sitting out in my kitchen all night getting old and smelly. I ventured out into the dark with my slippers and the big (church size) silver bowl to the garden. There is no light on that side of the house heading to the garden. My thoughts were confidant thinking "I'm feeling pretty good, I know where I am going I am comfortable and familiar here and am not scared of tripping or walking the wrong way or of what might come after me.". As I took my first step into the garden, knowing I was in the exact right spot and pretty happy about it, I sunk. I tripped forward plunging my second foot to catch my fall into the 6-9 inch mud. Someone (me), forgot to turn the water off when the were watering the cucumbers a few hours earlier and the nicely tilled SOFT dirt had now become a well...mud-pit. I chuckled as I realized how cocky I had just been and how stupid I now felt. With a giant silver bowl still in hand I tried to veer right to get out of the mud, just to find more mud. right even further, still no luck. One last step and I was out of the mud, but not unscathed. A slipper didn't make it. My red slippers with a pink heart were separated. One completed covered with mud, but on my foot and the other 6" under. I decided to just dump the compost anywhere and heading back for the house carefully missing the mud and scraping through pine trees in the process. I heaved the hose out of the garden and tried to spray off while I could, still laughing at myself and headed inside. I was certain to turn the water off. I checked this morning for my slipper....nowhere to be found on the surface, this is going to require some tiller work I think. My mud holes were so wet that they all filled in once my foot was removed, so that red and pink slipper was buried alive. It was funny.

3 comments:

Wynter said...

haha that is so funny.. poor slipper, I don't think it will ever be found.. at lest not by you ;) If you do find it you have to post a pic. Im sure it is pretty sad looking ;)

Tiffany Cramer said...

You are just like Anne of Green Gables trying to get Dolly out of Rachel's prize-winning cabbages! :)

Loraine said...

Ahh, well I guess you will just have to get new slippers! Make sure they are red and very comfy.... :)