Wednesday, October 8, 2008

I am a genius

I was having a really straining day at work on Monday and I came home pretty irritable. As usual Andrew tried to cheer me up by asking me what I wanted him to make for dinner and smiling a lot etc. It didn't really work until he said that he was going to wash all of the dishes as he pointed to our mounding sink. "yeah, that's right, all these dishes" he said. I was pretty impressed that he made the offer (very unusual for him to offer to do dishes) and it did lighten my mood a little. After dinner I was almost cured of my bad mood and Andrew could tell. He told me there was a deal involved with him doing the dishes and that was that I had to clear the dish drainer. I had no problem with that. Then he further shortened his task by saying that he was only going to do them until the drainer was full. What? Now I was feeling like his statement for doing the dishes was a bit of a joke...The drainer was only big enough to fit maybe a third or a fourth of the dishes there. It wouldn't have even dented the counter top that had dishes spread 3 feet ramming into the microwave on the far wall (I am exaggerating just a little...but only a little.) I would have further protested, but I was ahead of him. I finished putting away the dishes in the drainer and started washing the counters until he had about 5 plates stacked in the drainer. I pulled out a towel and started drying the plates and putting them away :) You all see where I am going with this. So did Andrew :) He whined just a little and asked what I was doing. He knew what I was doing. He just laughed at me the next few plates I dried and put away, knowing that the drainer was never going to get full, and he was going to have to do all the dishes. I enjoyed the moment of triumph. He pouted a little after washing every dish and I can't blame him, but the kitchen looked great.

I feel a need to explain my tomatoes a little. We picked them green because I was afraid of a frost with some bad weather coming up, AND we picked them early in the beginning so our tomatoes wouldn't have so many on every plant to focus on. Either way the window ripened tomatoes tasted just as good to me and picking them green gave me a chance to figure out what to do with some of them before they went bad. FYI, you can freeze tomatoes, but they are COMPLETE MUSH when you thaw them...so they would only be good for sauces or soups at that point. Also, you can jam them and jar them and give many many many away. I pulled 2 quarts of tomatoe juice from them when I made my jam. And for those that were wondering, yes they are tomatoes in that picture not APPLES...even though I wish some of them were.

4 comments:

Lees Everything Homemade said...

I would have loved to see a picture of all those dishes and then even better, a picture of Andrew doing them. When Richard and I were first married and both worked full time, our dishes got stacked up on more than one occasion and having to finally do them was our least favorite thing to do. Good job!

Cali said...

That is so funny DeAnna!

Loraine said...

I think you guys need a dishwasher...like the appliance kind.

Christa and Marcus said...

Hi Deanna! Marcus and I were thinking we would like to go to Thriller on Friday or Saturday. Are you guys available?